Monday, February 23, 2009
THOUGHT ABOUT QUITTING!
WHEN I GOT UP THIS MORNING AND STEPPED ON THE SCALE, I WEIGHTED THE SAME AS LAST WEEK. I know that is to be expected once in a while but the doctor, the nutritionist, and several friends keep telling me I could expect to lose 2 pounds each week and so far I have not lost 2 pounds this month. I was so disappointed in myself and depressed that I decided to just quit. I don't mind a week once in a while where I stay the same but this is crazy. I decided by the time I was done exercising this morning for 45 minutes it just wasn't worth it. I had gotten an email from Sarah and she had lost 5 pounds last week. So why can't I? Of course, I wrote Sarah right back to see what she did last week to lose so much. I then went to the church to work on the computer and drop off 2 cakes for a funeral and by the time I left there I was depressed to the point of sitting in my car and crying. I knew this diet thing just wasn't going to work for me. It is just impossible for me to lose the weight and with 2 pounds a month it will take me over 5 years to reach the goal. Why try. I felt I had given up everything there was to give up; no more sweets, no soda, no fried foods. What's left. I decided Right then I was going to the store and buy a 2 liter bottle of Dr. Pepper, not diet either, and the biggest bag of 3 musketeers they had. I put on a pair of sunglasses and headed to Albertsons. When I left the store I had bought 2 apples, 4 oranges, 6 bananas, a can of diced carrots and a box of wheat pasta. No soda and no candy. I then came home, ate a banana, exercised for another 20 minutes and put a very big and heavy towel over that stupid scale, promising myself I was not going to weigh myself before Friday morning. I then went to the emails where there was one from Sarah telling me she had not lost 5 pounds but point five pounds. I cannot tell you how great I felt. Sarah ate candy and still lost while I have not had a candy of any kind for almost 3 months and lost nothing but that didn't seem to matter at that moment. Whether Sarah knew it or not she made my day. My mind is back on track, at least for this week. I guess we will just have to wait till next Monday to see if my head is really screwed on right. My advice from all this is you will drive yourself nuts if you weigh yourself every time you go to the bathroom, trust me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I know exactly how you feel! But none of us are going to quit -- we'll just keep each other hanging in there (think July). I'm afraid for this week's weigh-in - I'm think it's going to be another increase!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Mom. I'm proud of you for not quitting and not giving in. You're doing great.
ReplyDeleteI think covering the scale is a good idea. I'm only weighing myself about twice a week. If I have a bad day, I don't weigh myself the next morning. I know I'll be up and that will discourage me. So instead I think to myself, "I wasn't good yesterday, I need to exercise more today and really watch what I eat."
Way to go Mom, and to everyone else who has had a similar experience. It might seem like a small thing when you put the cookie back, or don't buy that candy bar, etc., but it really is a big accomplishment to the ultimate goal of being healthier.
ReplyDelete