I have been feeling like I am standing still lately even though one week I am down the next I stay the same. I was getting discouraged of course and thought I would get some help from all of you. Thanks for your responses and advise. It seems to be doing the trick because even though my foot is really bothering me for some reason this week, and even though my throat is hurting and I can't swallow I still went for a walk both Monday and Tuesday. I really didn't think I would. You ladies are the best. Thanks for your help. Here is your advise, maybe it will help you too:
Joleane said:
"What motivated me was seeing Liisa doing so well. We're about the same height and have the same weight goals. She was doing it and I wanted to do it too. Also I'm reading a book about a guy who does Ultra-marathons. He runs 100-200 mile races. I've been struggling to consistently run a mile. Last night I was reading the book until I fell asleep. This morning I got up and ran 1.4 miles without stopping. The longest I've ran in... I don't know how long. It hurt, but I kept running anyway. Hope I can keep it up and I hope it hurts less each time.
How about reading some books about people who have walked off the weight or lost lots of weight and kept it off. Make losing weight a study in nutrition and how the body works and uses food & exercise. I just went to Amazon.com and looked for weight loss success stories. Maybe you could check out what your library has. I found these:
1. Finally Thin (How I lost over 200 pounds and kept it off and you can too) by Kim Bensen,
2. Confessions of a Carb Queen (lost 250 pounds without surgery) by Susan Blech,
3. Passing for Thin (Losing half my weight and finding myself) by Frances Kuffel,
4. The Weight-loss Diaries (How I learned to deal with my lifelong weight-loss struggle) by Courtney Rubin,
5. I Finally Understand (A personal weight loss story) by Deb Micinski"
I have a great book too that I read several years ago called walking with Angels, that Joleane gave me. I got it out last night and I am going to reread it.
Elizabeth found these great quotes after a google search:
The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.
Benjamin Mays
Victory belongs to the most persevering.
Napoleon
Julius Erving: If you don't do what's best for your body, you're the one who comes up on the short end.
Vince Lombardi: It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get up.
Milton Garland: My advice is to go into something and stay with it until you like it. You can't like it until you obtain expertise in that work. And once you are an expert, it's a pleasure.
Winston Churchill: Never, never, never, never give up.
Horace: Rule your mind or it will rule you.
Elizabeth said, "My favorite I think…
Milton Garland: My advice is to go into something and stay with it until you like it. You can't like it until you obtain expertise in that work. And once you are an expert, it's a pleasure.
Liisa's advise is what we hear most and should probably repeat over and over again to our self and others, "Don't get frustrated, just remember how far you have come and how great you feel for it. It took years to put it on, it will take time to get it off."
I'm a big reader, so thanks for all the books. I've read running with angels about 6 times - love her advice - am reading it right now, too. Thanks everyone for the motivation,mine was reeeeeal low.
ReplyDeleteI just heard a song by Reba with the line, "It's really very simple, just don't give up." I guess it doesn't matter what does or does not motivate us. It is just that we don't give up.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this post. I've been slowly sinking while just treading water this week. I made this decision last week about a goal of mine and I felt so motivated and good about it and then this week I lost the will to even care about half-way through. It's so frustrating and makes me feel cruddy about myself. Anyway, so thank you for the motivation and for always being here with good tips to read. Thank you to all of you for letting me join in your goals and lifestyle makeovers! :D You've all been so sweet to me and I appreciate your friendships!
ReplyDelete