I'm a very passive participant in this blog, but had a thought after reading Yvonne's post regarding discouragement at working so hard but not seeing the numbers drop off the scale. I think maybe it is being overlooked that muscle although it doesn't technically weigh more than fat does it takes up less space in your body. You can't rely all of your progress on what the scale says...are you still taking measurements?
If you are working out consistently your body is changing itself by using up fat stores to build leaner muscle mass. Where you may have seen dramatic weight loss quickly, as you begin gaining more muscle composition (due to working out), the scale numbers might start balancing out for a while. Muscle is a denser tissue and thus takes up less room than an equal weight of fat. So, where you might not be seeing changes in scale weight it is still possible that you are losing inches and your clothes may begin fitting differently. Having more muscle means you have a more desirable body composition, or fat-to-muscle ratio. You may still weigh the same, but your body will look different, smaller, better and tighter.
So, hang in there and don't stress about what the scale says. You know that you're doing what you're supposed to...you're eating better and exercising...don't let the scale discourage you. You will have ups and downs, but the changes you are making are permanent ones...although they may come ever so gradually, they will last forever. Keep up the great work!
Thanks Laurie, I needed that. It is because of the support of family that I keep going.
ReplyDeleteLaurie and the kids are down here for spring break and I am having several sleepovers with Miss Emme. It is a great reminder of just one of the reasons I started this diet and exercise program. Thanks again for your love and support.
Thanks for the comments and support. Working together, especially on weight loss is always better than going it alone!
ReplyDelete