I've been having trouble with my achilles tendons lately. After running for only a few minutes they tighten up so painfully that I can't take another step. I'm forced to just stand there with my foot in the air like a lame horse. After a few minutes I can limp along. Eventually I can try running again. Aside from the pain, this is also a very ineffective form of running.
Last spring or summer I was also having trouble with shin splints. I heard somewhere that stretching helps these things. So I did a little reading online and found out that...
Stretching is vital!
1. Stretching helps your body to become flexible. (Research has shown that a flexible body is less prone to damage and soreness after intense exercise).
2. Stretching increases the blood and nutrient supply to muscles and cartilage, which reduces muscle soreness after training.
3. Stretching increases the mobility of your joints.
4. Stretching improves your circulation.
5. Stretching improves your posture by improving muscle balance.
6. Stretching improves the range of movements of your limbs and joints.
7. Stretching prevents injuries that usually occur while performing exercises or sports or weight training.
8. Stretching relieves stress.
Things to remember about stretching:
1. Warm up with at least 5 mins. of light cardio exercise, like walking BEFORE you stretch.
2. Breathe normally while stretching. Don’t hold your breath.
3. Avoid stretching to the point of pain because this can injure delicate connective tissues.
4. Stretch with gentle, slow and controlled movements. No bouncing.
5. Stretch cautiously around painful joints.
6. Stretch again AFTER your cool down.
7. Hold your stretch for 15-20 seconds.
8. Stretching in a seated position rather than standing takes stress off the low back.
Reference
Reference
When NOT to stretch:
1. Following muscle strains or ligament sprains
2. When joints or muscles are infected, inflamed or hurt
3. After a recent fracture
4. When sharp pains are felt in the joints or muscle
Reference
Happy stretching.
Wow!! Great post. Feel free to add posts like this anytime. Thanks for taking the time too to gather the information and then sharing it with us. You all are going to help me get thinner and healthier. Thanks.
ReplyDelete